|Water Lines||Sewage Lines||Base Map||Photo Gallery|
Solapur is a famous city with an equally famous history. It has been found that the name "Solapur" has its roots in the name - "Sonnlagi."
Sonnlagi (Solapur) city was looked after by Patil Mordi Modhyagouda & his wife Sugaladevi. The great Shri Siddheshwar (also known as Siddharameshwar) was born in 1140 A.D. He stayed in a house at Sakhar Peth, behind the now Padma Talkies. Ancient Solapur is based in this area. Shri Nanappa was the Jaghirdar during this time. After his death his wife Smt. Chamaladevi looked after the Jahagir. Shri Siddharameshwar had a strong desire to build a beautiful temple and lake in Solapur. To honour his feelings, Smt. Chamaladevi gave him land near the Fort to build this lake temple. Shri Siddharameshwar went to Shrishail and brought a Shiv Ling from there. Finally the Temple was built in the middle of the Lake and the Pranpratishthapan of the Shiv Ling was done. This Lake Temple of Shri Siddharameshwar has always been a major attraction in Solapur.
The Solapur District was ruled by various dynasties such as Andhrabhratyas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas and Bahamanis. Recent research work however shows that the name Solapur is not derived from the congregation of sixteen villages. It is evident from the inscriptions of Shiva yogi Shri Siddheshwar of the time of the Kalachuristis of Kalyani, that the town was called `Sonnalage` which came to be pronounced as `Sonnalagi`. A Sanskrit inscription dated Shake 1238, after the downfall of the Yadavas found at Kamati in Mohol shows that the town was known as Sonalipur. During the Muslim period, the town was known as Sandalpur. Subsequently the British rulers pronounced Solapur as Sholapur and hence the name of the district.
The present Solapur district was previously part of
Ahmednagar, Pune and Satara districts. In the year 1838 it became the
Sub-district of Ahmednagar. After the State reorganization in 1956 Solapur
was included in Mumbai State and it became a full-fledged district of
Maharashtra state in 1960.